Wednesday 6 April 2011

When a Diva Must Adjust to Change

I have been using Estee Lauder skin care products for 10 years this year. Before that, I was using soap and water (gasp) on my skin, and by my mid-20s I was already noticing the damage. So I switched.

But over the past decade, sometimes I buy a new pressed powder (Lucidity Light Medium, holla!) or moisturizer and they've changed the packaging. Usually it's not a big deal, like when it's for appearance. For example, the last time I bought moisturizer they had changed the shade of blue of the pump and it now has a gold lid, not a frosted white lid.

New packaging (left) old packaging (right)

At first I didn't like it and I was kind of annoyed. (Seriously!) But today when I went to throw out the old pump I compared the two and the new version is clearly better.

Sometimes the changes aren't for the better. One time last year I bought my usual pressed powder and was dismayed to discover that it had a gold inner ring now inside the compact. While the new packaging does look nicer, the decorative ring (as far as I can tell it is only decorative,) obstructs me from getting at the last bit of powder around the edges when I'm running low. Sort of a waste, or I have to pry the gold ring off to get the rest. (I'm cheap enough to do it too.)


Notice the annoying gold ring inside the compact.

Anyway, the last time I was on the website I noticed they have collectible compacts. And as soon as I saw this, I decided I MUST HAVE IT:

It comes filled with Lucidity pressed powder, and you can get refills! (And look - no annoying gold ring!)

4 comments:

  1. Not gonna lie, the first word I saw when I laid eyes on this post? "Ring." I thought you were telling that story again. You know the one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I know the one! Have to admit, everytime I wrote the word "ring" I thought of it. One day, maybe a retelling will be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you dig up the original??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I have it somewhere. Give me some time to see if I can locate it.

    ReplyDelete